Your 101 to Oestrogen Dominance
Oestrogen, is in almost every cell of the body and Oestrogen dominance is one of the most common hormonal imbalances affecting peri- menopausal and menopausal women.
The three main types of Oestrogen's in the body are:
- Estradiol E1
- Estriol E2
- Estrone E3
- These 3 are markers on the Dutch Test! Which is why I love this functional test so much.
As you know Oestrogen is mainly made in our ovaries, and a very small amount is made in fat tissues and by the adrenal glands. (Which is why adrenal health is super important during menopause, and another reason why I love the Dutch complete test, as it shows you how the adrenals are working and how you are reacting to stress)
Oestrogen Dominance is a term used when the ratio of Oestrogen to progesterone is out of balance or rather Oestrogen is a lot higher than progesterone. Essentially Progesterone levels begin dropping years prior to the decline in Oestrogen. When there is not enough progesterone, and oestrogen has not declined at the same rate, your estrogen/progesterone ratio goes out of balance causing significant symptoms such as:
- Cravings, especially sugar
- Dry skin, hair and eyes
- Feeling overly emotional
- Feeling tired or unmotivated
- Hot flashes
- Hair loss
- Hormonal ups and downs
- Low thyroid function
- Mood imbalance
- Weight gain
What causes Oestrogen Dominance?
- Natural decline in progesterone
- Low progesterone levels due to stress
- Gut infections and gut dysbiosis can cause estrogen dominance, as they can cause Estrogen to be circulated and not excreted. Which is why I love the Gi Map stool test, I run these in 1-1 packages or in a group programme. Register for the next live course.
- Adrenal fatigue
- Alcohol (just 1 glass raises estrogen levels)
- Poor estrogen metabolism in the liver
- Xenoestrogens, endocrine system disrupting chemicals, and Synthetic hormones (hormonal birth control and HRT)
- Poor diet
How to Restore Balance
- Manage stress
- Support your adrenals with Ashwagandha (Use code RM0030-10 at check out fo 10% off)
- Reduce exposure to xenoestrogens and endocrine system disruptors.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat more cruciferous vegetables (DIM)
- Add maca root powder to your smoothies
- Consider a natural progesterone crea
- Run a Dutch Test and see where you really need to support your body to get back into balance, I do these in 1-1 packages and group programmes.
- Get a Hair Mineral Test to see if you have toxic metals and mineral deficiencies. This is not just important for hormonal balance but the health of the whole body. You can jumpstart straight into the HTMA package with me here
- Gut Health -Run a Gut Test: I love the Gi Map and run it with my clients and as part of my self Guided programme or in 1-1 sessions. When Oestrogen goes into phase 3 detox it gets bound up and ready to be excreted in your bowel movements. But if beta glucuronidase is too high, which is a gut bacteria known as part of the estrobolome. It lets the oestrogen back out into circulation and this as you guessed, stops it being excreted. We don't want this Oestrogen recirculating adding to our load. So by finding out what is going on in the gut and healing those imbalances. We address this issue. Not only this but infections and imbalances in the guy affects our adrenals. Wow are you starting to see how its all connected?
Two Common Supplements in Oestrogen Dominance
- Calcium -D - Glucarate There is a supplement called Calcium-D -Glucarate - this basically helps to keep stage 2 detoxification and prevents the re circulation. But its good to test and not just take these supplements blindly.
- DIM - Another common supplement you will come across when researching Oestrogen Dominance is diindolylmethane (DIM) or I3C. This is plant-based compound found in many cruciferous vegetables. think cabbage, broccoli, Kale, Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. So get these into you diet daily for a natural boost.
DIM supports your phase 1 detoxification of Oestrogen. Meaning it helps to direct the detoxification of Oestrogen down the healthy 2-OH pathway (you can see which pathways your body favours on the Dutch Test) The thing is a lot of women just think they have Oestrogen dominance and reach for DIM without testing. If you do this and have low Oestrogen or you don't have an issue with your phase 1 detoxification or even worse your stage 3 detoxification system is not working optimally, you can end up feeling worse ( headaches, dizziness, ache, mood changes, fatigue etc) So its good to know what is happening with your detox pathways before you blindly supplement.
Finally its important to say you can have Oestrogen dominance and really low Oestrogen. We often think that Oestrogen dominance only happens when you have really high Oestrogen levels, but if all your hormones are tanked this is not the case.
If you are curious about your adrenal and hormonal health then you can book an initial free call to discuss working with me in a 1-1 package or group programme. I am advanced trained in interpretation of the Dutch Test and GI Map and can help you work through your results.